What does my brain have to do with pain?

I get that my brain controls the function of my body in general. That makes sense. But, why would my brain create pain if there was no reason for it?

I saw this video, TEDxAdelaide - Lorimer Moseley - Why Things Hurt - YouTube - who wants to discuss this with me?

Pain is your brain’s way of keeping you safe. It’s a message that something is not ok in your life. Pain is often an output that the brain learns will get your attention when it’s receiving information that something is wrong. Sometimes it’s because you sprained your ankle or burned your hand. Sometimes it’s because work is stressful or there’s some significant life change happening. The brain is recieving info from your body and from your environment. However it doesn’t turn into the experience of pain until the brain feels like there’s reason to set off the alarm. Regardless, I like to think of pain as a helpful message and support people in reducing fear so they can learn from it.

3 Likes

That is such an interesting perspective. Thank you @CharliePT. What you said reminds me of what he said in the video that I posted above about being bit by that snake - he didn’t process it as painful until long after he realized what had happened.

Can you tell me more about what you mean about reducing fear around pain? I’m not sure I understand the connection.